February 11, 2018
February 11, 2018 – Longing for God’s Presence
Psalm 42 & 43
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Read Psalm 42–43. What are some common phrases, themes and topics that exist between these two psalms (cf. Psalm 42:5, 6, 11; Psalm 43:5; Psalm 42:9; Psalm 43:2)? What advantages, if any, would there be in considering these psalms a one unit?
3. What does it mean to “thirst” for God? What are some things that we should thirst for (cf. Matthew 5:6)? What are some promises of God with regard to our spiritual thirsting (cf. Isaiah 48:21; Isaiah 49:10; John 4:13; John 6:35)?
4. Describe the opposition the psalmist faced by his enemies (cf. Psalm 42:3, 9, 10). What are some ways in which Christians are oppressed and persecuted today in our country and around the world? How can this cause us to struggle in our faith?
5. Why do you think that the psalmist felt as though God was against him (cf. Psalm 42:7, 9; Psalm 43:2)? Have you ever felt this way in your relationship with God? What is the best way to deal with these type of feelings?
6. Memories are an important part of our life. What memories were dear to the psalmist (cf. Psalm 42:4, 6)? How can we use our memories to help us grow in our relationship with God? What are some of the fond memories you have of worshiping and serving God?
7. Describe the depth of the writer’s thirst for God (cf. Psalm 42:1, 3-6, 11; Psalm 43:5)? Have you ever hungered and thirsted for God in this manner? Explain. How would you describe your thirst for God at this point in your life? What are some ways that we can cause ourselves to thirst for God more?
8. What are some ways in which the psalmist dealt with his despair and spiritual anguish (cf. Psalm 42:5, 8, 11; Psalm 43:4-5)? What have you found helpful when you experience a spiritual low point in life? What Scriptures have you found helpful in your life or with helping others through difficult times?