January 27, 2019
January 27, 2019 – A Faithful Testimony
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Describe somebody you have known who was a good witness for Jesus Christ. What was it about their testimony that impressed you? How did their testimony influence you in your faith of God?
3. In this section John describes John the Baptist’s testimony. Describe the gist of his testimony. Who was his testimony about and what did he say? How did others view his testimony? Do you think it was easy for John to state his testimony? Explain.
4. How does John present the interaction which took place between John the Baptist and those who questioned him? Why do you think John responded with such short answers in the first part of his interaction?
5. What were some of the things that John could have said about himself when asked who he was? If somebody asks you who you are, how do you respond to them; what kind of things describe who you are? What impresses you most about John the Baptist’s self identity?
6. How does John’s response in verse 23 relate to Isaiah 40:1-3. What was John stating about himself by way of this response? Do you think John is specifically the one spoken of in Isaiah 40:3 or simply one like that person? Explain.
7. Describe the difference between John’s baptism and the baptism of Jesus Christ. Why was John baptizing people. Was John baptizing for the same reason that we baptize today? Explain.
8. Read verse 29 and list at least three observations about the text and its meaning. What is the significance of Jesus being the Lamb of God? Describe the potential difference between John stating that Jesus takes away the sin of the world and Jesus takes away the sins of the world. Does Jesus remove all the sin of the world? Explain why or why not.
9. List at least five important descriptions or identifies about the person of Christ mentioned in this passage. How do these statements relate to John 1:1-18? Describe who Jesus Christ is to you; your testimony of him. Take time to thank the Lord for the Lamb of God who took away your sin!