July 29, 2018
July 29, 2018 – Our God Is Great
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. What might be significant about the writer of this Psalm speaking in the plural (“us”) instead of singular (“I”)? How important do you believe corporate worship is to: your walk with God, your family relationships, and the Macedonia church body? How much of a priority should we place on corporate attendance?
3. What are your thoughts about the key point mentioned in the sermon of, “God’s greatness warrants our worship”? What justification for this statement can be found in Scripture? Why would His greatness warrant such an action?
4. Look at the following passages: Deuteronomy 9:26; Isaiah 40:26; Jeremiah 32:17; 1 Chronicles 16:25-26; 2 Chronicles 29:10-13. Describe how these passages promoted the greatness of God. List some things that are related to the idea of God’s greatness.
5. What does it mean that God is a great God (cf. vs. 3)? What is it about God that makes him great? What point is the writer trying to make by calling him a great “God”? What then is the intent of saying in the following statement “great King”?
6. Read Psalm 95:1-5 and describe some of the ways in which we can and should praise God. What are some things in which we should be joyful with regard to God? How do we come into the presence of God (vs. 2)? How do you know if or when you are in the presence of God?
7. What part does thanksgiving play in your prayer life (cf. Philippians 4:6; Colossians 4:2; 1 Timothy 2:1)? How much of your time in prayer is spent with thanksgiving to God? What are some things for which we should express gratitude to God? List some of the things that you are thankful for in your life?
8. Describe some of the ideas associated with bowing down and kneeling in worship. Do you think we should incorporate more of those kind of acts in individual and corporate worship? Explain. Why does the writer say that we should worship God in Psalm 95:7?
9. As our great Savior and Shepherd, God deserves our obedience. What are some areas of obedience in which you struggle? Why do you think obedience is such an important factor with God? How is Christ the perfect example of obedience?
10. What is the importance of the word “today” in Psalm 95:7? Look at Exodus 17 and describe how the people hardened their hearts? How can we prevent our own hearts from becoming hard? How can we keep from testing the Lord?