March 17, 2019
March 17, 2019 – Draw Near to God
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Would you say that most Christians are “near” to God? What does it mean to be near to God or to draw near to Him? How do we know if we are near to God? Would you describe yourself as one who is near to God? Why or why not?
3. What are some things that can hinder us from being near to God? What were some of the reasons for which James felt it necessary to tell his readers to draw near to God (cf. James 4:1-6)? Do you think that this same instruction is applicable to believers today? Explain.
4. Describe what it means to submit to God. How does our culture consider the idea of submission and how might that hinder our willingness to submit to God? Why do you think that James begins with the idea of submission to God in vs. 7?
5. Look through our passage and describe some of the promises that are given to us as believers. Have you experienced fulfillment of these promises in your life? Provide any testimony of God fulfilling these promises in your life.
6. What does it mean to resist the devil? How are Christians able to resist the devil? In what ways or areas might we need to resist the devil? Have you experienced any difficulties in resisting the devil? In what ways have you found success in resisting the devil? You may want to pray and ask the Lord for strength in this area.
7. In what ways do Christians need to cleanse themselves and purify their hearts? How is this the work of God and yet the responsibility of man? What is the significance of mentioning hands and hearts here? Do you feel you have clean hands and a pure heart? You may want to pray and ask for help in these areas.
8. Why does James tell these believers to be miserable, to mourn and to weep (cf. vs. 9)? Are Christians to feel such emotions as these mentioned by James? Explain.
9. What does it mean to be humble? Who is the perfect example of humility for us and what does that example show us (cf. Philippians 2)? Why do you think that God is so offended by human pride (cf. James 4:6)? Would you describe yourself as a humble person? How do you need to grow in the area of humility?