March 24, 2019
March 24, 2019 – Making Much of Christ
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. In John 3:22 we are told that Jesus was spending time with his disciples and baptizing. Baptizing is also mentioned in verse 26. How do these passages correspond with John 4:1-3? Some today have used John 4 as a basis for saying that Jesus never baptized anybody. Do you think Jesus performed baptisms? Why or why not? Does it matter? Explain.
3. Reflect upon the time when you were baptized. Why did you choose to be baptized? Were you baptized by immersion? Do you think that immersion is the only proper mode of baptism? Why or why not?
4. Why do you think that John makes the statement in verse 24 that John had not yet been thrown into prison. What impact does that have upon this story and setting?
5. How would you describe the possible struggle or temptation that John felt as a result of the statements in verse 26? Have you ever struggled as a result of somebody else’s success or popularity? How can our desire for fame and popularity place us at odds with Kingdom principles, Christ, and other people?
6. Describe John’s response in verses 27. What does this response show us about his view of Christ? What does this response show us about his view of himself and his role in life? What does this response show us about John’s view of God?
7. Describe the relationship between John’s statement in verse 28 and his earlier testimony recorded in Chapter one. In what way might we need to remind ourselves of these same principles in life? In what way do you struggle at times with gaining attention or control that belongs to God alone?
8. Describe some observations about the analogy that John the Baptist uses in verse 29 to describe his relationship with Christ. What is significant about using the example of a bridegroom and bride here? Describe what it was that completed John’s joy? Do you feel that your joy is complete or fulfilled in life? Explain.
9. Think about John’s statement in verse 30 that Christ must increase and we must decrease? What does it mean for Christ to increase? Can we have a part in making Christ increase? Explain. What does it mean for us to decrease? In what areas of your life does Christ need to increase and you need to decrease?