May 13, 2018
May 13, 2018 – Hannah the Mother of Samuel
1 Samuel 1-2:11
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Consider the following verses and discuss what it means to honor your father and mother: Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16; Matthew 15:4; Matthew 19:19; Mark 7:10; Ephesians 6:2. Do you think parents are honored today? Explain.
3. Reflect on the lives of some of the mothers recorded in Scripture, such as: Eve (Genesis 3:20), Sarah (Genesis 17:15-22; 18:10-15; 21:1-7), Rebekah (Genesis 24:60-67; Genesis 25:20-28), Rachel (Genesis 30:22-24), Elizabeth (Luke 1:5-25), Mary (Luke 1:26-56), Eunice (Acts 16:1; 2 Timothy 1:5). In what ways were they imperfect and flawed? How did God use them despite their short comings? How should this both challenge and encourage us?
4. According to 1 Samuel 1:2, Elkanah had two wives. Why do you think that he loved Hannah more than Peninnah and why does the writer tell us this information? How does the level of his love for Hannah add some validity to the statement of vs. 8? How might loving our children more than our spouse cause problems in marriage? How should we balance these two?
5. How do the actions of Hannah in vss.7-11 speak of her dedication to the Lord (cf. Deuteronomy 16:16)? Does it seem fair that God would “close her womb” and make her barren (cf. vs. 5-6)? How is the story and situation of Hannah similar to that of Job? What might the writer be trying to tell us about Hannah?
6. Describe the passion and concern of Hannah for her situation (cf.vss 10-16). Have you ever felt such concern for a situation in your life that you went to the extent to Hannah’s actions? Should you? Why do you think Hannah was so encouraged by the words of Eli (vss. 17-18)?
7. What does it mean that God “remembered” Hannah (cf. vs 19)? Had God neglected Hannah up to this point? How is this statement related to passages like Genesis 8:1; 19:21; Exodus 2:24?
8. Read 1 Samuel 2:1-11 and describe Hannah’s song of thanksgiving and some of her words of praise to God. Compare Hannah’s song to Mary’s song of praise in Luke 1:46-55. How is this song similar to Psalm 75?
9. According to 2:10, who is the focus of Hannah’s song? How might the writer be associating Hannah’s hope with the following passages: Genesis 48:8-12; Numbers 24:7-24; Deuteronomy 17:14; 2 Samuel 7:8-17?