November 11, 2018
November 11, 2018 – The Precious Presence of the Lord
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were unable to hear this week’s sermon, consider listening to it via our church website. What are some main ideas you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did this passage cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Why do you think the writer included verses 19-22 in this psalm? Do these statements fit in with the flow and content of the other verse of the psalm? Explain.
3. What are some of the attributes and characteristics of God that David highlights in the psalm? What is it about God that impresses or amazes the writer? What are some things about God that amaze you?
4. Define the term intimacy. What does it mean that God is an intimate God (cf. Genesis 1:27; Jeremiah 1:5; 31:3; James 4:8)? Do you think of God as being intimate? Do you think that a lot of people possess an intimate relationship with God? Explain. Describe a person you have known to have an intimate relationship with God. Would you describe your relationship with God as intimate? Why or why not?
5. Read Psalm 139:1-6. Describe the level and extent of knowledge which God has of human beings (cf. Isaiah 40:28; Psalm 8:3; Hebrews 4:12). What does it mean that God searches us? How does it make you feel to know that God knows all of your ways? How should that reality make us want to think and live? What does it mean that God encloses us behind and before? Does this limit our freedom? Explain.
6. Describe the meaning of God’s omnipresence. Does this mean that God is everywhere? Explain. How should the omnipresence of God challenge us to live our lives? How should God’s inescapable presence comfort us (cf. Joshua 1:1-9; Matthew 28:20)?
7. Describe some of the wonders of God’s work in general creation and in the making human beings (Job 38:4). What are some things about the human body and human life that amaze you? What are some of the intricacies of the human body that should cause us to be amazed by God? How should knowing that God has fearfully and wonderfully made humans increase our respect for the sanctity of human life?
8. What are some of the precious thoughts that God has toward His people? David states that he is amazed by the nature and amount of good thoughts God has toward him (vss. 17-18)? What are some of the precious thoughts that God has toward you (cf. Psalm 40:5)? What do you think that God thinks of you?
9. Take some time to ask and allow God to search your heart and show you if there be any way in your life that is not pleasing or honoring to Him. Ask the Lord to free you from any anxieties that you may have. In what direction is the Lord leading you in life; what changes may He want in your lifestyle and passions? Take some time to pray and commit yourself to following the Lord.