October 6, 2019
October 6, 2019 – Unless You Believe
Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Describe a time when you were not permitted to go somewhere you desired. What prevented you from going? How did it feel to be excluded or left out?
3. Elaborate on the meaning of John 8:21. Where was Jesus going that they could not go? What did Jesus mean by stating that they would seek Him? Do people seek after God on their own (cf. Romans 3:11-12)? Do people always find God when they seek for Him (cf. Jeremiah 29:13; Proverbs 1:28; 8:17)? Explain.
4. Twice in our passage Jesus states that people will die in their sin (note singular). Briefly describe the relationship between sin and death. In what way(s) did death result from Adam and Eve’s disobedience (Genesis 2:17; 3:24; 5:5)?
5. Describe the significance of Jesus’s statement that it is necessary to believe that He is (literally “I AM”)? In what way might this statement be related to John 4:26; 6:20, 35; 7:28; 8:12)? Explain any connection that may exist between this statement and Exodus 3:14.
6. What is so important about faith in Christ? Describe what John teaches us about the necessity of trusting in Christ (cf. John 1:12; 3:14, 18, 36; 5:24; 6:35; 6:40; 7:38-40). What is it about Christ that we must believe in order to be saved? What level of knowledge about Christ must a person possess for salvation? Are these last two questions legitimate questions? Why or why not?
7. In what way has Jesus conquered sin and death (cf. 1 Corinthians 15:55-56)? If Jesus has conquered these things why do people still sin and die; both lost people and saved people? Do you feel as though you have victory over sin and death? Explain why or why not.
8. What does it mean that Jesus is the resurrection (cf. John 11:24)? How is this statement related to Jesus as the way, the truth and the life? What is the significance of Jesus’ resurrection with regard to our justification, regeneration, and hope of personal resurrection (cf. Romans 4:25; 1 Corinthians 15:20; 1 Peter 1:3)?
9. Read Hebrews chapters 9-10. What does it mean that Christ has made a way for us? What has Christ accomplished and how do we benefit from His work?